Oceanic OC1 Online Class

Dropping stage bottles

Post here your requests for new features you would like to see in the simulator

Dropping stage bottles

Postby dv » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:57 am

It would be cool if when you did a cave dive, you could drop off your stage tanks as you go. You could drop your EAN50 deco bottle right where you plan your first deco stop, go deep, come back and grab the tank.
dv

Re: Dropping stage bottles

Postby bubbler » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Yes - Maybe this could be integrated with my lift bag idea, Maybe a rope that leaves the bottle suspended at a depth. ;)

Also, Maybe the ability to tie them to things?

http://www.ediving.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1653
bubbler

Postby eDiver » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm

dv wrote:It would be cool if when you did a cave dive, you could drop off your stage tanks as you go. You could drop your EAN50 deco bottle right where you plan your first deco stop, go deep, come back and grab the tank.

And why you would drop a stage bottle while diving?
It would probably make sense when you staging bottles for a later dive. But in this case the bottles will need to stay in the dive site when you exit the dive and still be there when you return to same site.
Almost like the trinkets ...
And what about if someone steals the stage bottle?
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby bubbler » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Hmmm. Urrr.... Ummm... Make a specially adapted valve that allows you to put a padlock through? :D
I should be paid for my ingenoius improvisation. Heh. :lol:
bubbler

Postby dv » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 pm

eDiver wrote:
dv wrote:It would be cool if when you did a cave dive, you could drop off your stage tanks as you go. You could drop your EAN50 deco bottle right where you plan your first deco stop, go deep, come back and grab the tank.

And why you would drop a stage bottle while diving?
It would probably make sense when you staging bottles for a later dive. But in this case the bottles will need to stay in the dive site when you exit the dive and still be there when you return to same site.
Almost like the trinkets ...
And what about if someone steals the stage bottle?

Cave divers drop stage bottles all the time so they can get through restrictions easier. I know there are no caves in eDiving where restrictions are an issue, but perhaps in the future!??

I was thinking dropping stage bottles could be kinda like the scooter. No one can steal your scooter, you can leave it where ever you want, and it comes with you when you end the dive, regardless of where it is on the map.

In buddy dives, maybe the buddy diver could borrow & use the EAN50 deco bottle, say if he/she is more nitrogen loaded than you are.

But in the end, the bottle is yours and comes with you when you end the dive.
dv

Postby davidjacobs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:35 am

In real cave diving we drop stage bottles all the time.
It's real nice for example to drop your 100% O2 bottle at the entrance of ressel cave, then the 50% O2 bottle at the top of the shaft for deco later.
The less tanks you have to carry the better as it makes swimming more though.
with 3 or more stages bottles a scooter becomes standard.
Another reason for dropping the stages is to reduce the risk of switching to a wrong bottle at depth...
You can't accidentally switch to 100% O2 at 200ft. if you don't have it with you...
In OW we don't do it as there is no guarantee you can find it back, but in cave diving you (generally) always go back the way you came, and when it is tied to the guideline you can find it blind.

then again, in the simulator it doesn't really matter... just pretend they are not there :-)
but it would be nice if the number of stage tanks could be increased when more challenging sites are released (the full length ressel for example)
Even better or multiple scooters may be needed :-)

damn, I really need a new (better) pc as I would love to do some more virtual diving again...
On the one I have now I can barely run it at minimum settings... mostly due to the crappy video card...
davidjacobs

Postby eDiver » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 am

davidjacobs, thank you for the feedback.
Just change the videocard .... these days you can find very good ones for way less than $100
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby amarshall » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:18 pm

You can change out the video card? Wow! I might have to do that...but after there is eDiving for Mac :D
If you need help, just PM me (follow the arrow)----->

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Return to New Features