Oceanic VT3 Online Class

Mariana Trench

List of dive sites; old, new and in progress

Mariana Trench

Postby eDiver » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Should we add to the simulator a dive site for the Mariana Trench?
Would you like to explore (virtually) in first person the "Challenger Deep"?
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Re: Mariana Trench

Postby amarshall » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Yes...how about submarines?
If you need help, just PM me (follow the arrow)----->

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Postby eDiver » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:24 pm

amarshall wrote:Yes...how about submarines?

I think we are going to build the "Trieste"; the bathyscape used in the original deep dive ;)
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby amarshall » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:47 am

Awesome!!!

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Postby the1monkeyboy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:09 pm

knowing divenav the whole trench will be lined with skulls. :lol:
the1monkeyboy

Postby eDiver » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 pm

and maybe some weird creature of the abyss :?:
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby amarshall » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:47 pm

eDiver wrote:and maybe some weird creature of the abyss :?:

Wikipedia says:

The Summary Report of the HMS Challenger expedition lists radiolaria from the two dredged samples taken when the Challenger Deep was first discovered.[17] These (Nassellaria and Spumellaria) were reported in the Report on Radiolaria (1887) [18] written by Ernst Haeckel.
On their 1960 descent, the crew of the Trieste noted that the floor consisted of diatomaceous ooze and reported observing "some type of flatfish, resembling a sole, about 1 foot long and 6 inches across" lying on the seabed.[19] The report has since been questioned, with suggestions that it may have been a sea cucumber. The video camera on board the Kaiko probe spotted a sea cucumber, a scale worm and a shrimp at the bottom.[20][21] At the bottom of the Challenger deep, the Nereus probe spotted one polychaete worm (a multi-legged predator) about an inch long.[22]
An analysis of the sediment samples collected by Kaiko found large numbers of simple organisms at 10,900 m (35,800 ft).[23] While similar lifeforms have been known to exist in shallower ocean trenches (> 7,000 m) and on the abyssal plain, the lifeforms discovered in the Challenger Deep possibly represent taxa distinct from those in shallower ecosystems.
The overwhelming majority of the organisms collected were simple, soft-shelled foraminifera (432 species according to National Geographic[24]), with four of the others representing species of the complex, multi-chambered genera Leptohalysis and Reophax. Eighty-five percent of the specimens were organic, soft-shelled allogromiids, which is unusual compared to samples of sediment-dwelling organisms from other deep-sea environments, where the percentage of organic-walled foraminifera ranges from 5% to 20%. As small organisms with hard, calcareous shells have trouble growing at extreme depths because of the high solubility of calcium carbonate in the pressurized water, scientists theorize that the preponderance of soft-shelled organisms in the Challenger Deep may have resulted from the typical biosphere present when the Challenger Deep was shallower than it is now. Over the course of six to nine million years, as the Challenger Deep grew to its present depth, many of the species present in the sediment died out or were unable to adapt to the increasing water pressure and changing environment.[citation needed] The species that survived the change in depth were the ancestors of the Challenger Deep's current denizens.

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Mariana Trench

Postby eDiver » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:57 am

A couple of events happened yesterday (a call from a friend and a BBC article) that renewed my interest in this subject ;)

I took a closer look at the data and .... OMG .... this site is huge! (and very deep too).
The area of interest is approximately a square of almost 700x700 miles (1,100x1,100Km) with the deepest point at almost 11,000 meters ..... no way I can dive down there .... not even with the simulator :o

marianas_map.jpg
marianas_map.jpg (162.92 KiB) Viewed 18437 times

This is a big area and there is no way one can cover it all while scuba diving :D
So, to put the Mariana Trench into eDiving we need to break it in pieces and then scale each one of them. It looks like a good plan to me.

The first portion we are going to cover is Central Mariana Trench

central mariana trench.png
central mariana trench.png (464.96 KiB) Viewed 18437 times

The size of this area is only 250Km x 250Km ..... and the maximum depth is only 8,858.42 meters .... :? But don't worry, we are going to scale it 100:1 so you can easily dive it too.

Look forward to this new site coming to eDiving very very soon.
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Diving the Mariana Trench

Postby eDiver » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:32 pm

Today I made my first virtual dive at the Central Mariana Trench ;)
This site is incredible: lots of steep walls, ridges and a very deep canyon.

As mentioned in my earlier post, since it is impossible to dive - even virtually - the original site as it is 250km x 250km wide and almost 9,000 meters deep we created a "shrunk" version. Basically we scaled the site 250:1 horizontally and 100:3 vertically ... then to make it even more manageable we moved up every thing by 30 meters:

central mariana trench_shrunk.png
central mariana trench_shrunk.png (152.43 KiB) Viewed 18397 times

Next is to add a bit of marine life - maybe even some dangerous Vyper fish :D
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby eDiver » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:57 pm

beta version is now online ;)

who is going to set the new "deepest dive" record ?
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Next

Return to Virtual Dive Sites