Oceanic OC1 Online Class

Trinkets

Post here your requests for new features you would like to see in the simulator

Re: Trinkets

Postby willpower » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Has there been any thought of finding "trinkets" on the bottom?

I suppose Coca-Cola cans would have to be included in that, as unfortunate a statement that is on our current environmental situation, but I started thinking about how there should be stuff on the bottom, especially near wrecks.

It wouldn't have to count for anything. The way I was imagining it to work would be to have objects tucked away on the ocean floor, fairly well hidden, and when you get near it to pick it up, instead of automatically getting it, you would get an objective box with a choice, "Take it" or "Leave it". Hit the appropriate key for the desired action, continue the dive. If you take it, then maybe we can have a "Trinket museum" beside our "Garage" in our forum CP and see it there. If you leave it, it stays on the bottom for you to swim past and see later.

So, after a dive, you would be able to pop back out to the website, see the bubbles you collected, any of the usable equipment you may have found (like the mask, tank, and fins), and then click over to see your museum to see the 3 coke cans, 2 silver spoons, and the thing that may be a button or an old coin, all sitting there on display.
willpower

Postby cdiver » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:22 pm

That is a great idea!!
I never thought about that.
Well on that case what about adding tangled fishing line and fishing nets,you could add a dive knife and pull it out and cut and then add the line to the "trinket" storage.
Now off to bigger and better things.
cdiver

Postby willpower » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:50 pm

That might be a bit "involved". I was thinking a much simpler system with a very basic interface.
willpower

Postby cdiver » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:25 pm

Did you go to college?
You sound really smart.
cdiver

Postby willpower » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:49 pm

I did in fact attend a university, but that was a long time ago... lol.

Mind you, it's not a prerequisite for eloquence in writing.

Neither point being even remotely related to trinkets.

I suppose I am just a total fool for shiny stuff, a bit like a crow. My mother retired from her career then went to work in a jewellery shop since she enjoys shiny stuff too (she was bored, so figured she might as well do something she enjoyed), so I come by it naturally I suppose.

I don't know if this will even be considered for future releases (not in May, for sure), but it could make for an interesting topic if we heard from some people regarding what types of "trinkets" they'd like to find on the bottom.

I can start.
Shiny buttons,
coins,
cannon balls (now those'd be a challenge to bring to the surface... lol),
coca-cola cans,
fishing tackle (good point cdiver),
lost anchors,
wallets,
watches,
champagne flutes (clumsy drunks on sailboats),
gas cans,
knives, forks, spoons,
lanterns,

Basically, the weirder the more wonderful.
Now, I doubt that you want to be making a political statement or anything, but you could even add extra bubbles for "taking out the trash" for the garbage items, as opposed to the reward of "treasure" being intrinsic in the finding (and the display cabinet) rather than any further external motivation.

Just a thought.
willpower

Postby cdiver » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Adding to the wallets,check inside for bubble credits,lol.
I like shiny stuff too,but not in the water,I heard it attracts sharks.
cdiver

Postby cdiver » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:45 pm

I am bored.
cdiver

Postby bluewolf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:44 pm

And to get the heavier stuff could use recovery bags. Another thing you can do with this are 'missions' were you have to search for and recover stuff that people have dropped. For newer guys it could be something as trivial as a snorkel dropped from the side of a dive boat. For more advanced divers it could be tools and other equipment dropped off a work site.

I went on a 'beach cleanup' activity a couple weeks ago. I was going out with some friends of mine that didn't dive so I went in snorkeling instead of diving to stay with them. Me and my buddy pulled 2 garbage bags full of bottles, cans fishing equipment and other stuff from the water. Also found a couple of cellphones and what looked like an electrical core transformer that weighed around 30-40 pounds. Even pulled out a 13" car tire from 20' in the break zone (hell of a task).

It was work, but it was fun scanning the bottom for stuff then having to go down to get it. Worked in 4' to 20'. For me that's not deep at all even while snorkeling. But having to remain at the bottom holding my breath for up to a minute at a time while using my dive knife to cut some line or digging something out of the sand was challenging. Doing it for 2 hours straight made it even more of a challenge.
bluewolf

Postby willpower » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:52 am

Sounds like a hell of a challenge.

Feels good at the end of the day, though, eh.
willpower

Postby eDiver » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:06 am

WONDERFULL IDEA !!!

Will make this happen

AM
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Next

Return to New Features