Veo 3.0 Online Class

Giant Clams

Post here your requests for new features you would like to see in the simulator

Giant Clams

Postby oldiver » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:54 am

Suggestion: Add a giant clam to the orientation open water site so new divers can practice buoyancy control and collecting objects. This clam will open and close and have a 10BC coin in it. Divers must time their movements/speed so not to get crushed. If successful they get the 10BCs. If not, they respawn right there and try again or continue with training dive. You could scatter more around other dive sites (some might be empty, some not) with one having a black bauble (pearl) in it. This object could have "magical" powers. Why, you could even call it a "magic bauble". :lol:
oldiver

Re: Giant Clams

Postby amarshall » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:24 am

Cool idea!!
If you need help, just PM me (follow the arrow)----->

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Postby eDiver » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:52 am

i like it too ;)
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby iamnota » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Sounds like a good place to hide trinkets! ;)

Maybe there can be an extremely rare chance of finding a full set of gear from a less-fortunate diver...?
iamnota

Postby amarshall » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:17 pm

iamnota wrote:
Maybe there can be an extremely rare chance of finding a full set of gear from a less-fortunate diver...?

If a diver got eaten by the clam 10 times in a row....well you know ;)

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Postby oldiver » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:01 pm

A knife should be a must for searching/retrieving any items from these giant beasts. But you must be quick. Is it worth the risk?
oldiver

Postby iamnota » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:22 pm

Also, clams have tiny hairs that sweep food into their stomach. Perhaps if you brush against some of the hairs, the clam snaps shut immediately. Be wary when retrieving your treasure, you can only use it while you're alive. ;)

Maybe when a clam traps you, you still have a chance to escape. If you used a knife to pry it open, you can mash the space bar to try to open it and make your escape. However, doing so is difficult since the clam does not want its food to escape and it takes a great toll on your stamina. You might want to hurry, though, the clam starts the digestive process very quickly...

amarshall wrote:
iamnota wrote:

If a diver got eaten by the clam 10 times in a row....well you know ;)

Actually, I was thinking that you can't steal the gear from a previously eaten diver. Instead, the clams contain the gear from a diver that is not in the game, much like the remains of an NPC. Also, the chance of what gear varies by the experience the previous user had. If you think about it, you probably won't find a tech diver's gear too often since they have training. However, a vacationer who decided to go scuba diving with a recreational tour guide would probably be lured in better by the clam, so you will probably find some cheap rental equipment along with the starting swim trunks rather than a wetsuit.

Imagine opening a clam to find the skeleton of a tourist with their mask still clinging to the skull... :(

Hmmm... If there are skeletons to take gear from, there could be a "mini-game" where you must remove the gear. When you select a piece of gear, the game goes into first person and you control your diver's hand with the mouse. You must then remove the gear as carefully as possible lest you disturb the clam and it shuts. Removing the gear also requires unstrapping it as well, like loosening a mask or unbuckling a dive computer's wrist strap. If you are successful, you must return to the surface to claim your loot. If you disturb the clam or take to long, well, it's over.

oldiver wrote: Is it worth the risk?

Truthfully, I would probably try to grab anything I could get. However, if that monstrosity belches a few bones into my face, I'll probably think twice. :?
iamnota

Postby amarshall » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:37 am

Well I watched a video explaining that Giant Clams are sensitive to light...so when you swim over it..you body blocks the light and it instinctively shuts....

So what I'm saying is..maybe make it to where if you are a few feet above it it could close and shoot a blast of water at you and possibly make you have a rapid ascent :D

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Postby iamnota » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14 am

Instant rapid ascent? It would be kind of embarrassing if you had a safe dive going only to have a giant clam give you the bends! :lol:
iamnota

Postby amarshall » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:28 am

iamnota wrote:Instant rapid ascent? It would be kind of embarrassing if you had a safe dive going only to have a giant clam give you the bends! :lol:

I didn't say instant...I said possibly...maybe just a push and if you didn't adjust your bouyancy..would go into a runaway ascent

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Next

Return to New Features