Suunto Vyper Air Online C

Lobster Hunting - Monthly Winners

Can you catch the California Spiny Lobster ?

Re: Lobster Hunting - Monthly Winners

Postby cdiver » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:21 pm

exactly
Now off to bigger and better things.
cdiver

Postby princess » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:37 pm

amarshall said "manevin said "Yea I see your point. But do you want to see the simulator go in the direction of just for fun? Or market to a larger audience and be reputable as an actual dive tool. Personally I'd rather see the later of the 2."

I see your point too. We have discussed this in the topic "What do you Want eDiving To Be" and we (well MOST of us) agree that eDiving should have some fun aspects. To say no lobster cages just because in real life the lobsters CAN die is like saying don't hide a DataMask in Murray Head. Or a treasure chest in San Clemente.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the simulator and the realism but sometimes you have to let a few things slip by. Like I said, it was just a suggestion that I thought could add a little something to Lobster Hunting. That is why we have a forum. Forums are for people to discuss their opinions, ideas, report bugs, etc

Like I said, I like the realism and I understand your points of view. Hopefully this will clear my views up for you"

I would have to say that I agree with manevin. I don't think adding things that are not legal in real life is a good idea. this site has a reputation for it's accuracy and realism.

The statement about the DataMask not being realistic, let me tell you, just about every diver I have ever met has lost equipment . Masks are one of the most common, the strap breaks or it gets kicked off by someone and you may never see it again. I have done wall dives that if anything got away from me it would have been gone forever. I would not be surprised if a real life DataMast sits at the bottom of some ocean. We always carry a backup mask when we go diving.

As for the treasure chest do you realize how much treasure sits on the bottom of the oceans. only a small percentage has ever been found. So finding a treasure chest in real life may be unlikely treasure is out there and people do stumble onto it at times.
princess

Postby amarshall » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:21 pm

princess said "amarshall said "manevin said "Yea I see your point. But do you want to see the simulator go in the direction of just for fun? Or market to a larger audience and be reputable as an actual dive tool. Personally I'd rather see the later of the 2."

I see your point too. We have discussed this in the topic "What do you Want eDiving To Be" and we (well MOST of us) agree that eDiving should have some fun aspects. To say no lobster cages just because in real life the lobsters CAN die is like saying don't hide a DataMask in Murray Head. Or a treasure chest in San Clemente.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the simulator and the realism but sometimes you have to let a few things slip by. Like I said, it was just a suggestion that I thought could add a little something to Lobster Hunting. That is why we have a forum. Forums are for people to discuss their opinions, ideas, report bugs, etc

Like I said, I like the realism and I understand your points of view. Hopefully this will clear my views up for you"

I would have to say that I agree with manevin. I don't think adding things that are not legal in real life is a good idea. this site has a reputation for it's accuracy and realism.

The statement about the DataMask not being realistic, let me tell you, just about every diver I have ever met has lost equipment . Masks are one of the most common, the strap breaks or it gets kicked off by someone and you may never see it again. I have done wall dives that if anything got away from me it would have been gone forever. I would not be surprised if a real life DataMast sits at the bottom of some ocean. We always carry a backup mask when we go diving.

As for the treasure chest do you realize how much treasure sits on the bottom of the oceans. only a small percentage has ever been found. So finding a treasure chest in real life may be unlikely treasure is out there and people do stumble onto it at times."

Then explain to me how a diver loses a ship out of his pocket? The ship in San Clemente isn't there in real life! But it makes a great addition the simulator.

Also at least in the US lobster cages are not illegal. Found this on Wikipedia:
Lobsters are caught using baited, one-way traps with a color-coded marker buoy to mark cages. Lobster is fished in water between 1
and 500 fathoms (2 and 900 m), although some
lobsters live at 2,000 fathoms (3,700 m).
Cages are of plastic-coated galvanized steel or
wood.

It was just a suggestion and I was hoping it could form afyer some criticism, a new idea
If you need help, just PM me (follow the arrow)----->

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Postby princess » Sat May 01, 2010 5:39 am

This is from the California department of fish and game

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/sportfishing_regs2010.asp

(g) Diving for crustaceans: In all ocean waters, except as provided in Section 29.05, skin and SCUBA divers may take crustaceans by the use of the hands only. Divers may not possess any hooked device while diving or attempting to dive.

And wreck diving either real or imaginary is still legal.

I also don't see what would be the sport of setting a trap and checking it later.
princess

Postby amarshall » Sat May 01, 2010 6:13 am

princess said "This is from the California department of fish and game

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/sportfishing_regs2010.asp

(g) Diving for crustaceans: In all ocean waters, except as provided in Section 29.05, skin and SCUBA divers may take crustaceans by the use of the hands only. Divers may not possess any hooked device while diving or attempting to dive.

And wreck diving either real or imaginary is still legal.

I also don't see what would be the sport of setting a trap and checking it later. "

Whatever, just trying to give ideas around here. I give up, just TRYING to add a little something

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Postby eDiver » Tue May 04, 2010 8:37 am

Here the record holder for the month of April 2010
Best Score:.....................................197, amarshall, 2,000 BC
Biggest Lobster:........3.1Kg / 6.85lb, amarshall, 1,000 BC
Heaviest Catch:.....17.27Kg / 38.07lb, amarshall, ...500 BC

Congratulations to amarshall for the GRAND SLAM. He brings home lots (3,500) of BUBBLE CREDITS. What are you going to buy?

For May we will have a new Lobster site with bigger lobsters. Anyone up to challenge the current record holder?
Think about how much GEAR you can buy with all those BUBBLE CREDITS.

Alberto (aka eDiver)
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby amarshall » Tue May 04, 2010 1:47 pm

eDiver said "Here the record holder for the month of April 2010
Best Score:.....................................197, amarshall, 2,000 BC
Biggest Lobster:........3.1Kg / 6.85lb, amarshall, 1,000 BC
Heaviest Catch:.....17.27Kg / 38.07lb, amarshall, ...500 BC

Congratulations to amarshall for the GRAND SLAM. He brings home lots (3,500) of BUBBLE CREDITS. What are you going to buy?

For May we will have a new Lobster site with bigger lobsters. Anyone up to challenge the current record holder?
Think about how much GEAR you can buy with all those BUBBLE CREDITS.

Alberto (aka eDiver)"

I think I'm going to buy a new dive computer, and maybe a Nitrox tank :-)

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Postby princess » Tue May 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Congratulations amarshall, those are awesome scores : )
princess

Postby amarshall » Tue May 04, 2010 5:38 pm

princess said "Congratulations amarshall, those are awesome scores : )"

Thanks!

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
amarshall

Postby princess » Wed May 05, 2010 1:50 pm

OK maybe you can use traps, I looked up California codes but today I was looking at the maps of all the dive sites and noticed Lobster-3 is in the middle of Algeria. The laws may be different over there. : )
princess

PreviousNext

Return to Lobster Hunting