DCT iPhone App
DCT iPhone App

Altitude diving and older PC compatibility

bluebuddy / Tech Buddy Frequently Asked Questions

Altitude diving and older PC compatibility

Postby billcw2cj » Mon May 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Reading through the forums on divePAL and Bluebuddy, I want to make sure I have a correct understanding before purchasing. I am going back and forth between Bluebuddy and the iGills.
I noticed that the Bluebuddy can upload the logs to a PC but only if it is Windows 8 with BLE support. I think I saw that the logs can be uploaded from the BB to an iPhone4S and then uploaded to divePAL cloud then downloaded to a PC. Is that correct?
Can the dives be uploaded to two different iPhones so that both myself and my dive buddy can retrieve the info?
Can the dive log information from the BB app be downloaded through progams like Syncios?
If so, is the data stored in a CSV file so that I can sync it with my other dive log program (Dive Buddy Pro)?
billcw2cj

Re: Altitude diving and older PC compatibility

Postby billcw2cj » Mon May 05, 2014 9:04 pm

I forgot the question about altitude diving. Does the Bluebuddy compensate it's log data (nitrogen loading) based on it's current altitude? Is that data shown on the app? We go down in altitude (2000ft) to dive and then have to return home the same altitude difference. We usually spend a few hours after diving in the lower altitude before returning home as a safeguard. Is there a way the app could tells us when we return to a safe pressure group in order to head home? From my research it seems this is like flying after diving.
billcw2cj

Postby eDiver » Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 am

billcw2cj wrote:..... I think I saw that the logs can be uploaded from the BB to an iPhone4S and then uploaded to divePAL cloud then downloaded to a PC. Is that correct?...

Correct.

billcw2cj wrote:...
Can the dives be uploaded to two different iPhones so that both myself and my dive buddy can retrieve the info?...

Yes. Either bu downloading the dives directly from BB or by sharing the dives via the divePAL cloud.

billcw2cj wrote:...Can the dive log information from the BB app be downloaded through progams like Syncios?...

We are not sure if Syncios works with our App.
But, you can export logs (either individually or the complete logbook) in DAN DL7 format.
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby eDiver » Tue May 06, 2014 8:43 am

billcw2cj wrote:.... Does the Bluebuddy compensate it's log data (nitrogen loading) based on it's current altitude? Is that data shown on the app? ....

If you associate a log to a dive site (in the App), then the integrated Dive Analyzer will use the altitude (and water type) info for that specific dive site.

billcw2cj wrote:....Is there a way the app could tells us when we return to a safe pressure group in order to head home? From my research it seems this is like flying after diving.

While the App can analyze a dive performed at elevation, it does not include what you are asking for.
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby billcw2cj » Tue May 06, 2014 11:12 am

eDiver wrote:
billcw2cj wrote:.... Does the Bluebuddy compensate it's log data (nitrogen loading) based on it's current altitude? Is that data shown on the app? ....

If you associate a log to a dive site (in the App), then the integrated Dive Analyzer will use the altitude (and water type) info for that specific dive site.

I remember reading about adding dive sites and something about local sites. If a site is not on the divePAL list of sites, will the app figure out where we are and the elevation we are at or do we need to manually enter the elevation in order for the app to calculate the nitrogen loading?
billcw2cj

Postby billcw2cj » Tue May 06, 2014 6:12 pm

Just ordered the Bluebuddy and downloaded the app for the iPhone. I went into the app to enter my local dive sites. When I went to the elevation setting, I could only enter three digits. The elevation of my sites are all over 1000ft. with most over 5000ft. How do I enter those values? The elevation will be very important when calculating my nitrogen loading for altitude diving.
billcw2cj

Postby eDiver » Tue May 06, 2014 8:29 pm

ooppsss .... we did fix this in divePAL for iPad, but clearly we forgot to fix it in the iPhone Apps.

We will get it fixed in the next release of the Apps (give us a couple of weeks).

Thank You for pointing this out to us.
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby billcw2cj » Thu May 14, 2015 7:20 am

As a new dive season gets ready to begin, if the darn snow would stop falling, I have a continuing question about altitude diving. You stated earlier that the Bluebuddy and the divePal programs will adjust for altitude after inputting a dive site with the proper altitude. Since your update I have been able to enter the correct altitude of the sites. Comparing my depth from my console dive computer and the Bluebuddy, my computer depth, for example, will show 20ft but the Bluebuddy shows 17ft even after entering the dive site with the high altitude. When I use an online calculator from "8thelementdiving.com" I get the conversion from 17ft to 21ft at 5938ft elevation. Is there another setting I need to make to get my depths and pressure groups to adjust to the altitude?
billcw2cj

Postby billcw2cj » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:29 pm

I just downloaded the latest DivePal update for my iPhone with the altitude diving fix. I compared the calculator I used before and your new code and it matched perfectly!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! I love seeing the correct depth after assigning a dive site and I can now see my EPG. Great work!!! We love our Bluebuddy!!!
billcw2cj

Return to bluebuddy FAQ