Cobra 3 Online Class

Why does my bluebuddy keep disconnecting?

bluebuddy / Tech Buddy Frequently Asked Questions

Why does my bluebuddy keep disconnecting?

Postby eDiver » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:14 am

Q: I have a bluebuddy that doesn't seem to work right. I dove with it last weekend with no problems, but this weekend it keeps disconnecting from my phone and gives errors when downloading the log. How do I fix this?

A: There could be a couple of reasons that explain why a bluebuddy keeps disconnecting from a smartphone: 1) Radio issues, or 2) the bluebuddy is in private mode and you are trying to use it with a non authorized smartphone.

Regarding possible Radio issues, the first thing to do is to check the RSSI signal using the Settings-->bluebuddy-->Monitor menu. Put your bluebuddy (Tech Buddy) very very close to your smartphone, activate it, connect to it and then check the RSSI indicator.
If the signal is strong (a value in the -50 dBm to - 10 dBm), but the bluebuddy still disconnects after few seconds (about 5 seconds), then the bluebuddy is in private mode.

Private Mode is a feature that allows a bluebuddy (Tech Buddy) to be used ONLY with a very specific smartphone.
When you set a bluebuddy to private mode you "bond" that bluebuddy to the smartphone that is currently connected to the bluebuddy.
If you later on try to access the bluebuddy with a different smartphone, the bluebuddy will keep disconnecting.

If you remember the password you have used when you did set the bluebuddy in private mode, then you can use the "Private Mode Restore" feature (Settings-->DeviceManager-->Device Reset-->Private Mode Restore) to bond the bluebuddy to the new smartphone.

If you do NOT remember the password you have used when you did set the bluebuddy in private mode, then you must use the "Master Reset" feature (Settings-->DeviceManager-->Device Reset-->Master Reset) to reset the bluebuddy.
Please follow the instructions indicated in the App when you perform a Master Reset. The Master Reset code is "000000" and you have only few seconds to enter it.
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Return to bluebuddy FAQ