Cobra Online Class

Bluetooth pairing passcode for Windows 8 PC?

Wireless Dive Logger using Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology

Re: Bluetooth pairing passcode for Windows 8 PC?

Postby sam » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:50 pm

After working on this issue for a few days, I have an update, though unfortunately not good news.

It appears that changes made to the bluebuddy firmware in June 2014 in order to maintain compatibility with as many iOS and Android devices as possible has rendered buddy devices produced after June 11 2014 unable to connect to PCs running Windows 8.

Unfortunately, the connection failure between Windows and these buddy devices happens before Windows loads our bluebuddy driver, so there's nothing we can do in terms of Windows software updates to work around this issue. The firmware changes that caused this issue are also not likely to be reverted in future buddy devices, as we view maintaining compatibility with mobile operating systems as more important than Windows compabitility at this time.

We're still investigating the issue as well as the possibility of returning support in Windows 10, which has substantial changes to handling of BLE devices compared to Windows 8, so there may be more updates on this issue posted soon.

If you have an iPhone or Android device with BLE, you can check the firmware revision in our divePAL or My bluebuddy apps to verify that you have one of these devices. The steps to do this on Android are to open the settings menu, connect to your device through the "Device Manager" screen, then from the "Device Info" screen from inside the "bluebuddy settings" screen. This will show you various information about the connected buddy device, including the firmware revision date. The steps on iOS should be very similar.

Sam
eDiving Sim Programmer | Android App Programmer
sam

Postby billcw2cj » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi Sam,
Thank you for your response. I will watch for your updates but I am not sure if it will help. The problems may be with the Bluetooth radio or driver. I have found that I have issues with my LG HBS-750 headset pairing and having good sound. The sound cuts out/choppy but when I put the sound through the speakers, it is fine. I have seen many complaints about this in the Micro Center online forums. Maybe I'll get lucky with your update. Keep up the great work. We love our Bluebuddy!!
billcw2cj

Postby billcw2cj » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Hello again Sam,
I wanted to give you an update. My FW rev is 20140611 so the issue is probably firmware related. I have updated my PC and tablet to Windows 10. Will you be releasing new drivers for the new OS?
billcw2cj

Postby billcw2cj » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Hello again, Sam,
I just wanted to update you on some things I have tried. I have purchased a Bluetooth dongle using Broadcom drivers (it is a Broadcom BCM 20702 chip). My audio quality on my Winbook tablet seems to have improved but I still could not connect with the Bluebuddy (would not pair). I have upgraded my tablet and my desktop to Windows 10 and installed the drivers and the dongle on my desktop as well. My desktop also will not pair with the Bluebuddy. You stated you were working on a new update for your Windows BLE, any progress on that? I hope we can get this to work. My tablet or desktop would be much easier to download the Bluebuddy data to and then put in the dive spots and other info.
billcw2cj

Previous

Return to bluebuddy