ScubaPro Aladin 2G Online

Bluetooth pairing passcode for Windows 8 PC?

Wireless Dive Logger using Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology

Bluetooth pairing passcode for Windows 8 PC?

Postby wdugdale » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:23 pm

I just downloaded the DivePal program to my Windows 8.1 PC and I am trying to pair my bluebuddy with my PC, by following the directions in the DivePal software. When I enter the "Devices" menu on my PC to pair with the bluebuddy, it cannot be found. However, when I search for bluetooth devices in the "Bluetooth" menu, the bluebuddy appears readily, but when I proceed to pair with the bluebuddy, it requests a passcode for the device. What is the default pairing passcode for bluebuddies?

When I paired my bluebuddy with my android phone, it never requested a passcode to pair with it.

Thanks!
wdugdale

Re: Bluetooth pairing passcode for Windows 8 PC?

Postby eDiver » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:16 am

Hi,
there is no need to enter a password. See this post
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby wdugdale » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi,

It appears that the device manager has been changed in windows 8.1, and I cannot find a way to add a bluetooth device without the PC requesting the passcode for the device. It says to check to manual or contact the manufacturer for the device passcode. I have tried 0000 which is generally the universal bluetooth passcode for devices, but that does not work.

If there is no passcode built into the device, how might I get around the windows 8.1 request for the passcode?

Thanks,
Wade
wdugdale

Postby sam » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi there,

I looked into this issue today. The passcode issue is new in Windows 8.1, however it looks like entering a passcode of "0000" works and allows Windows to pair with the buddy device.

After that, it looks like there was an issue with the driver signing certificate being out of date. I've uploaded a new copy of the driver signed by our current signing certificate, which allowed me to use my techbuddy again once it was installed on my Windows 8.1 PC.

To download the new drivers, you can either download the new driver directly from this link and install it yourself, or you can reinstall the most recent version of divePAL and make sure the "bluebuddy Windows driver" option is checked, then divePAL will automatically download the above file and run it for you.

After installing the updated driver through either method, reboot your computer and unpair and re-pair the bluebuddy, and everything should work.

I'll be updating the instructions in the post eDiver linked soon, as it looks like Windows 8.1 has made some pretty significant changes to that process beyond just needing a passcode, so thanks for the heads up!

Sam
eDiving Sim Programmer | Android App Programmer
sam

Postby wdugdale » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the quick reply! However upon uninstalling and re-installing the latest divePAL, with the "bluebuddy Windows driver" option checked, I am still encountering the same issues as before. It doesn't appear that the new driver has changed anything. Perhaps there is another way to get around the windows 8.1 device manager?

Thanks,
Wade
wdugdale

Postby sam » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi again,

Sorry my reply wasn't quite as quick this time, I haven't been able to make much more progress on this issue the couple of times I had time to look into it briefly.

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still working on it.

I've updated our step-by-step instructions for connecting to a buddy device to reflect the changes in Windows 8.1. You can see the updated instructions here under the "Connection" section.

If you could double-check and let me know exactly which step of the 8.1 instructions the connection is failing at, and what (if any) error message you see when the failure occurs, it could be helpful in figuring out what else might be the problem.

Thanks,
Sam
sam

Postby billcw2cj » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:59 pm

I am having a similar issue with my WinBook TW100 which has Bluetooth 4.0 built in. When I go to the Bluetooth screen on the tablet, I can wake up and see the Bluebuddy and the Pair option. When I choose Pair, it comes to the passcode screen, I enter "0000" (four zeroes) and it says "connecting". The connection times out and says that I can try again which I have several times. The Event Log on Windows show the attempts as Source=BthMini Event ID=29. I have verified this is the Bluebuddy as the MAC Address matches when I pull up the info on my iPhone. I verified that I downloaded the latest version and uninstalled and reinstalled with the Bluebuddy driver. Any ideas?
billcw2cj

Postby sam » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi Bill,

The passcode is probably unrelated to the issue you're having. Windows should accept any passcode you enter.

The only thing I was able to discover that may be useful is that the WinBook TW100 tablet you are using had a BIOS update released with the description "fixes a potential issue that causes Bluetooth devices to stop functioning with the tablet."

Unfortunately, since we don't have a WinBook to test on I can't verify on my end whether this is a fix for the issue you're experiencing. However, installing this update would probably be a good next step. Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Sam
sam

Postby billcw2cj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:14 am

Hi Sam,
That update is the first thing I tried. Unfortunately, my tablet already had that BIOS update done (mine was an open box purchase). Are there any apps that you know of that would help troubleshoot this problem? Something like Wireshark for bluetooth?
billcw2cj

Postby sam » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:06 pm

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately, the state of BLE developer tools on Windows is not that great.

To do something like packet sniffing (at least using all the tools I'm aware of), you need a specialized hardware dongle.

All of the applications that work with a standard BLE adapter and that can provide even some limited diagnostics require pairing a device through Windows' Bluetooth menu before they can do anything useful. Unfortunately, this is requirement imposed by Windows and can't really be worked around.

The only good news I have is I'll be doing some updates to our Windows BLE support in the next couple weeks, and will have the time to take a look at this issue in more depth, among a few others.

I'll update this thread with any information about this issue, or if I find any tools that could provide useful information about this.

Thanks,
Sam
sam

Next

Return to bluebuddy