Suunto D6 Online Class

API request

Wireless Dive Logger using Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology

API request

Postby computerx » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:23 pm

On the kickstarter page for DCbuddy it says

Additionally, we plan to license our DCbuddy APIs to selected third party developers of diving log Apps so they can integrate support for our DCbuddy device into their own branded products.

Will this extend to bluebuddy/techbuddy? I would *very* much like to have my bluebuddy data make it into Subsurface. I'm not sure the best pathway for that. They do (apparently) have an Android app that I have never used. Subsurface is taking part in the Google Summer of Code and they have several ideas for the Android app. If you were to approach them with your API you could get exposure to the hoards of geeky divers using Subsurface. It would be a win for everyone.

Their GSoC idea list is http://trac.hohndel.org/wiki/Subsurface_GSOC_2014_Idea_List.

Thank you.

Dan
computerx

Re: API request

Postby eDiver » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:33 pm

computerx wrote:On the kickstarter page for DCbuddy it says

Additionally, we plan to license our DCbuddy APIs to selected third party developers of diving log Apps so they can integrate support for our DCbuddy device into their own branded products.

Will this extend to bluebuddy/techbuddy? ....

Not at this point in time.

But, the developers of Subsurface are more than welcome to contact us regarding licensing the DCbuddy API.
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Postby ukdivertim » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:24 am

I was looking to buy one of the tech buddies as I do some dives in the 40m-50m (130ft - 170ft) range. and I use DiveMate with it's transfer pack to download some of my dives. I'd be looking to use that software to download my dives.
Your response (and the fact that a competitors product is already supported) has lost you a sale. Yes the competitor is more expensive, but then again the battery life is longer so it works out in the end.

Quite frankly from an end user point of view I previously owned a VR3 dive computer which I downloaded dives to it's propriety software. When it finally died and I needed a replacement I went through cost and annoyance transferring my dive logs to a more open format.
If you are selling hardware you need to make the API as open as possible so others can interact with your product or you will continue to lose sales.
ukdivertim

Postby eDiver » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:06 am

ukdivertim wrote:..... If you are selling hardware you need to make the API as open as possible so others can interact with your product .....

We have already licensed the DCbuddy and bluebuddy APIs to those developers (2) that have requested them (and accepted our licensing terms).
The DiveNav Team
eDiver

Return to bluebuddy